If you don’t have the space or time to plant a great outdoor garden, there is still a great option available to you. Succulents are great plants to use as alternatives for small and indoor gardens.
Succulents are not only beautiful but also have many benefits. To start, taking care of your succulent garden is incredibly easy.
Planting and caring for your succulent garden:
- Less is more, especially in the case of potting soil for your succulents. These plants will not grow as well in richer soil; make sure you buy soil mix designed for cactus and succulents. Remember to use water sparingly, once a week is more than plenty is most cases.
- Place a layer of pebbles on top of the soil; this will prevent the soil from drying out too quickly. As with all plants, make sure the lighting is right. Succulents like bright and indirect sunlight.
Benefits of succulents:
There are a multitude of benefits these plants have. Some of them are:
- They are great for small places or apartments.
- Succulents can grow in planted soil or in containers.
- There are hundreds of varieties.
- Succulents come in different shapes, sizes, colors and combinations.
- Some of these plants have beautiful flowers.
- Succulents like Aloe contain healing powers that can ease the pain of burns.
- These plants are very persistent and can live in harsh conditions.
- Succulents are a great way to fire proof your home’s surroundings. One of the many benefits is the high moisture content in the plant. It can act as a fire barrier and protect your home from the dangers of fires.
The list of benefits can go on and on. Succulents make a great plant for those who often forget to water their plants, or want a drought resistant landscape but still desire a great garden. Do you have any questions about succulents in your garden? Schroeder’s Garden Design would be happy to help you! Give us a call for your complimentary consultation today.
Image Credit: frumbert